Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Ponyo Ponyo


So before I went to Chiba I saw "Ponyo on the Cliff" with Sakura and her parents. Despite loving Miyazaki movies, I was a little worried going into this one because it's all in Japanese and even though I can get along alright in most everyday situations, I usually fail miserably at understanding Japanese movies, TV, and music especially. However, I was pleasantly surpised that I understood at least 85% of the movie's dialog (probably because it is geared towards young kids), and for perhaps the first time in my life I found myself understanding the language passively. I caught myself several times after a scene of dialog had passed realizing that I just understood everything without even trying...it was a nice feeling.

The movie itself was very cute, and pretty much what I was expecting. I wouldn't put it up there with Mononoke or Spirited Away, but it's a nice little kids' movie in its own right. I suppose it will come out next year in the U.S., but I don't think I will try to see it in theaters.


1 comment:

Tory said...

Hey!
How wonderful to be able to watch that movie and understand!
I would enjoy some more pictures especially with you and Sakura in them!
Keep it up!
Lv u!